[NAFEX] Newtown Pippins in Northern New England

baylands baylands at cros.net
Thu Jan 29 21:29:29 EST 2004

I have a 10 year old Yellow Newtown Pippin on M7 rootstock that I purchased
from Miller Nursery. Port Clinton, Oh is on the southern shore of Lake Erie
in Zone 5. The lake effect in some ways is somewhat like Zone 6. The tree
has flourished. The fruit does not ripen properly before the weather freezes
up. This was the first year that some of the fruit gained size and appeared
ready to be picked. The apples were not eatable off the tree. They are now
in my root cellar seeing if they ripen enough for use. I would not suggest
planting the Yellow Newtown Pippen in this part of Zone 5. Perhaps others
have had better luck.

Ro Chapman

Baylands Farm

Port Clinton, OH 43452