[NAFEX] Petite Jewel Grape

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Jan 29 19:12:26 EST 2004

That's the difference in locales, obviously.  PJ that I've tried tasted so
much like Canadice I'd have taken it to BE Canadice.
-Lon Rombough

I've been growing Petite Jewel here in central MN,zone 4a since '92 with
only 2 crop failures due to cold - one of these was last year when many of
the native plants also had damage, and still it set about 1/4 crop. I find
Canadice to be bland and mushy by comparison, but maybe that is because PJ
is better adapted here and vice versa? Its a wonderful grape here and makes
great jam with the vestigial seeds, un-noticeable fresh, cooking up to give
it a unique nutty crunch. Its the textural experience of wheat bread with PJ
jam on white toast.