[NAFEX] Scion storage in freezer?

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 09:51:41 EST 2004

I seem to recall that Hilltop nursery used to describe in at least one of their catalogs back in the '80's that they stored scionwood by freezing it in solid blocks of ice until the rootstocks were ready.  It is not mentioned in the old catalog that I saved, so I may have some important detail wrong.  If this worked, it seems like it would be ideal for keeping wood completely dormant until the stocks were in prime condition- perhaps especially good for stone fruit grafting.

Does anyone  have any experience with this kind of storage?

Anton