[NAFEX] Re: Grafting-Where did I go wrong?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jan 26 12:36:01 EST 2004

At 11:55 AM 1/25/2004 -0500, Doc L. wrote:
>Practically anyone who work in a medical laboratory can slip you a sample of
>Parafilm.  We used to buy it by the gross.  It shouldn't be as expensive as
>it is sold for by nursery suppliers.  It's "wunerful" for grafting, budding,
>etc. but some of the best grafters I know use masking tape.

The guys who taught me nut tree grafting used Parafilm.  As Doc indicated,
it is pretty inexpensive - I think you can purchase a 2 inch X 250 foot
roll for under $20; That'll do THOUSANDS of grafts.
I especially like it for doing 3- and 4-flap grafts - It works nicely to
hold those 'banana' flaps in place until I can get a rubber wrapped around
everything, and I can get better alignment, because I don't have to apply
much pressure to get it in place..

I see that they've developed a newer formulation for use specifically in
grafting:http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/parafilm-grafting.shtml , but
I'll probably just keep on using good old Parafilm-M.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY