[NAFEX] Sorbus 'Rabina'

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Mon Jan 19 10:18:24 EST 2004

Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus 'Rabina'The local arboretum has a huge collection of
Sorbus.  I have explored these trees in the fall looking for any that might
be worth growing for fruit.  Most make me gag.  Almost all are too bitter
and astringent to consider being edible.  Most are very acid also.  I have
found 2 Sorbus trees that I would like to grow (I have reported on these
previously)...

Sorbus devoniensis when fully ripe has the flavor, sweetness and texture of
dates. In England these are collected and fermented into an alchoholic
drink.

Sorbus pallescens when fully ripe are sweet and tart with the flavor and
texture of apricots.

It sounds like Rabina, and the one Lon grows, is free of the
bitter-acid-astringent properties found in most Sorbus fruit.  Comments?

-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 7B/8A