[NAFEX] pear trees for Austin, Texas

Dr. Ethan Natelson natelson at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 12 06:25:43 EST 2004

Dear Drew,

      I would think your estimate of 650 average chill hours for Austin is
on the low side.  It probably is closer to 800 hours.  There is no reason
to plant varieties such as Orient and Pineapple, which are not of high
quality.  Not far from Austin, in Llano, Dr. Tullos had established a
successful Asian pear orchard with Shin Li, Ya Li and Shinko as his primary
cultivars. Varieties such as Ayers, should work well in Austin.  Probably
you would do best by contacting the local extension agent (s) to see what
people are planting.  Texas A&M would probably not be of help since they
have never had a serious interest in pears, as they have had in peaches,
for example.  You might contact Travis Callahan, who is the chair of the
Southern Pear group for NAFEX.  He could direct you to members of this
group located in your area who could offer suggestions.  Travis identified
the Southern Bartlett pear which would do well in your location as would Leona.

                                                                    Regards,
Ethan