[NAFEX] grafting small field stock

Ed Forest edforest55 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:05:59 EST 2004

Sorry to give you a fifth option but I think it is the best of those you
listed. I often do this graft on tress that are bigger than the scions and
not conducive to even one- sided whip and tongue grafts but too small to
cleft or bark graft. Its a modification of the whip and tongue, very simple
and leaves a good strong union, stronger than a bark graft. I don't know
what you call it and I have not seen any pictures of it.
Cut the field stock off clean at the height you want the graft. Then cut the
scion as for a whip and tongue graft. On the stub on the field stock make a
cut that matches the scionwood but that, hmm, how do I explain this, that is
a only a little bit longer  than half the length of the whip cut you made on
the scion. (You don't cut all the way through the stock like another scion,
the top of the stub looks almost round but with one flat side like the
inside of a keyed knob)  Notch it with a tongue just a little ways down from
the top of the stub, and then join the two together, wrap it with rubber
strips.
I have done dozens of these grafts alongside cleft grafts, one-sided whip
and tongue grafts, and bark grafts and these give more takes and more
strength. I don't know if I've explained it very well but does anyone know
what this graft is called?

Kevin Bradley