[NAFEX] Question......

Jim F bonfire58_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 08:36:03 EST 2004

     I have a fertilizer spreading question that I hope someone can answer:  When my soil analysis calls for spreading micro-nutrients is when I have problems.  Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, plus others, are much finer than other fertilizer conponents so that, when I mix it all together, the finest grains, micro-nutrients are frequently almost powder, sink to the bottom of the broadcast fertilizer spreader as it jostles and bumps along.  Consequently, too much micronutrient is spread at the beginning of a run and not enough/none(?) gets spread by the time the hopper is empty.
     To counter that, I try spreading with a Whirlybird™ on a windless(?) day.  Trouble is, the slightest breeze blows the, almost powder/fine grains away so that hardly any hits the ground where it is supposed to go.
     How does anyone else accomplish the task?
Thanks,
Jim Fruth