[NAFEX] grafting success with callusing box

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 20:47:36 EST 2004

Mark:
Yes I have tried both techniques during the 1980's.
I was an early adopter of the "Laegerstedt hot callusing pipe", the 2nd technique you ask about,
which was designed for hazelnuts.

Especially the first technique makes plants sick by digging them out of the ground.
Knowledgeable grafters will tell you the first most important thing is to graft healthy plants.
A plant dug out of the ground is by definition an unhealthy plant, because you have just subjected
it to a crisis by pulling it out of the ground.

Both techniques work well some of the time.
The Laegerstedt technique can be applied to plants growing in place, but awkwardly.

Find a simpler way.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts