[NAFEX] Persimmon Question

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Feb 29 09:57:54 EST 2004

Most American persimmons have male and female flowers on separate trees.
However, Early Golden and a number of it's relatives have the ability to
produce limbs of male flowers on female trees.  To complicate things, there
are male trees that are able to produce small, seedless fruit, and a very
few, like Szukis and Jim Claypool's F-100 that can produce female and
perfect flowers on male trees.  Jim Claypool first found this phenomenon and
Jerry Lehman and others in the Indiana Nut Growers have been working to use
this trait to try to produce American persimmons with perfect flowers.
-Lon Rombough
http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for
2003

     American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiàna) has imperfect flowers, some
staminate, some pistulate.  What my source doesn't tell me is whether the
male and female flowers are on the same plant or are there male plants and
female plants.  Would someone help me out on this please?
Thanks,
Jim Fruth