[NAFEX] Speaking of choke cherries

philip sauber mrtejas at lycos.com
Thu Feb 26 12:22:33 EST 2004

I have fond memories from my childhood eating choke cherry jelly and syrup at my grandmother's house in western Montana.  The chokecherries grew wild everywhere on the river banks.  It makes jelly very easily as the level of pectin is very high. My grandmother didn't use pectin, she just boiled until it made jelly.  If it didn't jell, it was syrup.  I believe the "choke" in the name is from the high pectin levels.  They certainly aren't edible fresh, about like an unripe persimmon.