[NAFEX] Grafting knife grip?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Feb 25 09:32:34 EST 2004

At 08:35 AM 2/25/2004 -0500, Tom wrote:
>Finally bought a grafting knife with a single beveled edge.  Now I have a
>question...
>I am following the instructions in the "Fruit Grafters Handbook" put out
>by Burford and Fackler, and it does not
>mention whether the beveled edge should be up or down, when making cuts.
>I am right handed, and I assume that they sent me a right handed
>knife.  When I hold the knife in my right fist,

Yes, you've got a right-handed knife.
I always make my cuts pulling toward me - the edge is facing me, and the
bevel is up; I realize one's power-stroke should be on pushing away, but
grafting is not so much a power thing as a finesse thing.  Of course,
cutting toward one's self is one of the major reasons so many of us cut
ourselves from time to time in the process.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY