[NAFEX] Curly Ash.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 10:12:54 EST 2004

Scott Weber wrote:

I have used other species destined for the wood stove to make spoons,
including a piece of curly ash I found in a pile of firewood.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Scott for making telling that.

In the past I have ran into curly ash twice. Ash splits easily and have done
it often because our home is mostly heated with wood. Wood seems to be a
warmer heat then oil or gas. It makes no logical sense, but I've had others say the
same thing. Anyway, it is much much harder to split curly ash than straight
ash.

Wooden baseball bats are made from ash. Bats often break when batting. Get
where I'm headed?  Does the bat industry use curly ash? Is there a steady
source? In talking with a member of the US Forestry Service doing research on
figured walnut he said he knows of no curly ash being propagated. That might not
only make stronger bats, but more beautiful because of the graining. Curly walnut
logs bring much higher prices when they can find it.

The US Forestry Service is doing research on curly figured walnut, maple and
other trees. There is interest in this subject by some members of the Northern
Nut Growers and state organizations such as the Indiana Nut Growers Assoc. If
anyone finds a live curly ash the forestry service at Purdue Univ. would like
scion wood, so would I as well as others.

If anyone should cut down an ash and discover it has curly grain please
contact me and cut scion or bud wood and get it into cold storage.

Jerry Lehman
7780 Persimmon St.
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4994

812-298-8733