[NAFEX] bletting and storage Maclura and Poncirus

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sat Feb 21 00:22:00 EST 2004

Is it necessary to use seed?  Most of the old references talk about living
fences of Osage Orange resulting from just pushing pieces of the stuff into
the ground so they would root and grow.  If that's the case, seems like you
would be ahead of the game to line out cuttings.
-Lon Rombough

 On the Osage (Maclura pomifera), MANY of the seeds have already rotted
(or been infested with some sort of tiny bug??). If the fruit is still
greenish/yellowish, seeds seem to be fine, BUT hard to separate.  Any
suggestions on separation, as well as storage?  We would like to hold some
over for next year - not to mention next year we want to harvest a lot more
and to prevent the losses we have had this year to "rot" or "bugs" will
"process" sooner and then store the seed.