[NAFEX] Tree suggestions

JoanRRosenberg at aol.com JoanRRosenberg at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 18:07:36 EST 2004

I have the same problem -   water table is 6-8 feet down.  You have to be very careful with the rootstocks.  On my property I cannot grow Gisela (any kind), or Mazzard, and Nemaguard suckers a tree to death. The apples don't die, just don't fruit.  I found, of all apple rootstocks, Antonovka was the best, if slow growing, and I just have to keep it pruned.  Try your peaches on Citation, Lovell Peach, or Siberian C Peach.  You may have to just buy and try several trees, same variety, different rootstock, and watch them for 3 years. Then you will know for sure.  JoanRRosenberg LI NY