[NAFEX] plum pollination

Kristina & Bruce herenorthere at lycos.com
Thu Feb 12 22:38:30 EST 2004

Here's my sad story of variety dependence.  I have a Golden Transparent Gage and a tree Raintree labeled Kirke's Blue, but instead is almost certainly whatever prune Raintree was selling in the mid 90s.  The fruit are long, have green flesh, and purple skin with a bluish bloom.  And taste like every prune I 've ever had.

The gage begins blooming only a couple days earlier than the prune, so there's a nice overlap during the bloom.  And the trees almost touch.  Yet, while the the gage sets a mindboggling amount of fruit year after year, the prune sets only a few.  And, by a few, I mean 4, 5, or, in a good year, maybe 7.  It's never had as many as 10.

I think it's safe to conclude the prune isn't self-fruitful and that the gage's pollen cannot pollinate the prune.  Golden Transparent Gages are supposed to be self-fruitful, so it's possible the gage and prune are completely incompatible.  If my ambition rises to the occasion, I'll go out with bags and paintbrushes and test them this year.

There isn't much left to test, though, because I re-worked most of the alleged Kirke's Blue to Mount Royal, Damson, and a "white" plum last year.  Raintree's sending an actual Kirke's Blue and I'm putting a piece of that on too because I have no room for another plum tree.  Maybe I'll test all of them and confuse myself even further.

Bruce Wittchen
1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT
Mystified by Plums, but Attempting to Understand Them