[NAFEX] people, piglets and deer

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon Feb 9 17:58:47 EST 2004

I had a big increase in my rodent population the year we had a coyote
den nearby.  The chipmunks, in particular, boomed, but we had extra
rabbits and mice and voles, and no shortage of squirrels.  That was the
year I got the fewest berries ever.  I think it's because the coyotes
killed my local fox, and killed or scared inside all the local cats,
but didn't bother with the little stuff that ate my berries.  So I am
not a coyote fan.

(The hawks that occasionally nest nearby, on the other hand, are my
friends.  We've had red shouldered and red tail hawk pairs, and when I
see them around, the squirrels make themselves scarce.)

Ginda
In the Boston suburbs, where there's more wildlife than I would have
expected.