[NAFEX] Would CO2 Be Organic to kill ground hogs?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu Feb 5 22:21:31 EST 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Erdman, Jim wrote:

> . . .

> 		I think tom is thinking of Halon extinguishers, as I see many CO2
> ones around, and see them listed in catalogs.  Also, I believe that
> excess CO2 makes you drowsy, so rather than running away or digging
> away, a groundhog might decide to take a nap, one that he would never
> wake from.
>
> 		Sounds like an idea to me, now to figure out how many cubic feet of
> CO2 are in the big tank that we got at an auction and use for
> carbonating beer and soda that we make--and then locate the low
> entrances of the burrows.
>
> 		Jim Erdman, in Menomine, WI

I think you are confusing carbon dioxide (CO2) with carbon monoxide
(CO).  Carbon monoxide makes you drowsy, and gives you a nasty headache
if you recover.  As a way of killing animals, it is pretty humane.  CO2
suffocation, in contrast, is very very unpleasant.  I once worked in a
lab where a lot of rodents were killed in the name of science.  Usually
we decapitated them, which is quick.  But once someone killed a cage of
hamsters by gassing them with CO2.  The poor things were miserable, and
gasped and writhed for a long time before they succumbed.  CO2 is the
product of respiration, and it is mostly the level of CO2 in your blood
and lungs that triggers the "take a breath" reflex.  Too much CO2 is
what makes you feel like you are suffocating, and in greater
quantities, it burns the lungs.  (Forming carbolic acid, I think.)
This is not a nice way to kill a groundhog.  It also triggers the "I'm
trapped in a closed cave" feeling, so my guess is that the groundhog
would look for a way out, and you'd probably make it miserable without
actually killing it.  After all, a little too much CO2 must build up in
burrows fairly frequently.

Acute lead poisoning is kinder and more likely to work.

Ginda