[NAFEX] weather stations

RW Spalinger rwspal at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 14:19:26 EST 2004

On Feb 3, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Peter Knop wrote:

> Thanks for the reference  Randall and Tom, I need my own, sigh, as I
> need to
> know soil temps, as well as micro climates as end result will be
> trying to
> get hardier varieties of some of the warm climate plants...I would
> love to avoid the expense and bother (I am NOT a computer guru) of
> having
> our own station (which, if we get what we want from one, will actully
> probably involve more than one, unless one station can handle multiple
> sensors...

A single Davis Instruments display console can handle inputs from
several remote sensing stations, linked by radio transmitters. At the
console, one can switch among the remote stations to display that
sensor's data. If the sensors are more than a couple of hundred yards
(depending on conditions) away, one can use a repeater to get distances
of a mile or more.

I don't work for Davis Instruments, I just use their product, which
works pretty well. My rain gauge, anemometer, thermometer, solar
insolation sensor, etc is up on a pole in the middle of my central
garden, and it transmits all the data to the little console hanging on
a wall in a shed nearby. The console can store up to 24 years of data,
which can be scrolled through. It even has a little graph of the
collected data, min. and max. data, etc.

Randall Spalinger