[NAFEX] Bluebell: Not so great table grape.

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Feb 2 19:29:00 EST 2004

It varies with variety. Some table grapes don't produce their biggest,
nicest clusters until the vines start to mature well, such as 4 years or
more.  The quality may vary a little, but that's usually because the grower
hasn't gotten the hang of the vine and may be overcropping it a little,
which reduces the fruit quality.   Bluebell is a lot like Concord in
character, though it is sweeter and  (to me) has a more aromatic flavor that
I would call better.   It is a little sensitive to soil pH and may be
affected by slightly alkaline soil that wouldn't bother other American
grapes.
-Lon Rombough
http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for
2003

At the below website it is stated that Bluebell is not great until 4th
year. It is also described as a table grape. My question: Is this
common for a (table) grape to not be "great" until it's 4th year, and
what exactly does great mean? Great taste - great producer etc.... Now
that hardy grapes exist it is more and more tempting to plant them.

http://www.littlefatwino.com/bertslist.html

BLUEBELL - Labrusca type table, hardy to -35F, ripens about Sept. 1st,
juice, jelly, fresh market, not great until 4th year.

to change other email options):

Message archives are here:

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/