[NAFEX] 60 vs 90 chromosomes?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Dec 2 15:20:37 EST 2004

At 01:53 PM 12/2/2004 -0500, Jerry wrote:
>  Be sure the understock is 90 C virginiana as 60 C virginiana keep their
> leaves well after the 90 chromosome. I can supply seed. These trees
> should harden off early.

Jerry, Lon, or anyone else,
Is there a simple way to determine if you have 60 or 90 chromosome races?
Seems like Don Compton intimated that the Ohio River was a 'dividing line',
of sorts, between the 60s & 90s, but I may have misunderstood.
I usually grow my own seedlings from seed collected from a tree just up the
street from my office, which I've designated '816' (the street no.); I
suspect that it's probably Early Golden or Meader, but until my own graft
of it and EG & M fruit out in my orchard so that I can compare them in
close proximity, I can't be sure that that is the case.
I presume that if it is Early Golden or Meader, it's a 90?

Lucky