[NAFEX] Larry McGraw

Lon Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Aug 30 19:00:56 EDT 2004

Mark:
	He has a lot of plums and apples.  Sad to say, many will probably be
lost because he can't taste them to evaluate them due to his cancer.
	The fuzzy plum is P. subcordata.  Forget it.  It's totally unable to
grow in the NW.  It's native to SE Oregon where the climate is dry.  In
our type of climate it is utterly ruined by disease.  And it has some
screwy growing habits.  Graft it and you get about one good crop, then
it sits.  In the wild, a sucker comes up, bears, and that's about it.
The next crop has to come on a new sucker from the roots.  Oregon State
U. tried to grow it and failed. I've tried, and failed.  Larry couldn't
grow it if most of his stuff wasn't from seed and in a very dry
climate.  It's main use is in breeding.  Get some disease resistance
and repeat bearing into it, and it could have a chance,  But then it
would be more like a Japanese type plum anyway.
-Lon