[NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 09:17:20 EDT 2004

My stone fruit grafting has been either w/t or chip bud, alwasys quite mixed
results, I keep wondering if the main problem isnt temperature. I remember
seeing a list of temperatures needed for callusing - and stone fruits were
at the highest needed temp, aples at the lowest, anyone have such a list?
Light frost possible this weekend and high in 50's. , I'm grafting stone
fruits anyway though.
I have used a combo chip / whip + tongue I am liking more and more. I
prepare a piece of scionwood like I would for w/t, including tongue, but
instead of making a matching end cut on the rootstock, I skive it onto the
side of a branch or main stem. My thoery is that it is a thicker piece of
scion and has more staying power that way......such as now when it has to
wait till ? to see 80F.
Del

Del Stubbs  http://www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3

>From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle at css.tayloru.edu>
>To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>Subject: Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:26:57 -0500
>
>On Aug 17, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Bob Hartman wrote:
>. . .

and were