[NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 11 10:48:11 EDT 2004

At 07:29 AM 8/11/2004 -0700, Mark wrote:
>Does anyone in NAFEX grow beach plums in an environment that is not near
>the beach?

I've got two seedling beach plums that I purchased from Ken Asmus at OIKOS
Tree Crops, several years ago.  Planted along the edge of my orchard, close
to the European & Japanese hybrid plums, though I don't recall if their
bloom periods overlap.  I'm probably 500-600 miles from a beach,
discounting the swimming beach I made at the farm pond a hundred feet away
from these beach plums.
The two bushes I've got are quite disparate in size - one's about 3 ft
tall, the other at least 6 ft.  No problem with brown rot or any other
disease/pest(that I've noticed), and they're not (yet) suckering - if
that's a trait of the species.  I have a good clay soil, and these are
located in a spot with good drainage, but definitely not a beach setting.
They set and matured a good crop of fruit last year - small, but tasty, and
many just dried up on the plants after ripening, almost like raisins,
without dropping.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7