[NAFEX] Best groundcover for (home) orchard

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 11:54:38 EDT 2004

Not using chemical herbicides or mechanical tilling,
I'm not going to be able to keep the ground bare.
What would be a good groundcover?  Does dutch clover
or subterranean clover add too much N for the pears
and apples?  vetch?  How about comfrey - that uses up
N and is deep rooted, does it compete with the trees?

Is "orchard grass" as difficult to keep under control
as the grass and weed mix we have now?  We have to mow

every week or two, which is way too much work.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall