[NAFEX] Speaking bluntly...Arkansas Black

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Wed Sep 24 00:42:07 EDT 2003

Has anyone had the personal experience of ever eating a Arkansas Black apple
that they thought was worth a darn?

Yes, but only after it had been stored for at least six months, if not
longer.  It was better for cooking, even so.  The fruit was from an area
called Apple Hill in the foothills east of Sacramento, in gold rush country.
-Lon Rombough

The Apple Hill area also has, I hear, relatively rich soils (esp. in P)(for
uplands at least)

I have never met anyone who likes both Bud Lite AND anchovies (which latter
I truly enjoy if they are of good quality, but mostly they are used as an
ingredient)
I have never had a good Arkie Black; I had assumed it would help to go to
Arkansas for the tasting.

-Rick