[NAFEX] Re: Liberty (was Apples for Indiana)

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Fri Sep 19 19:02:22 EDT 2003

I've had Liberty grown in NJ and in Mass.  It was similar in both
places.  It is a "mac-type" apple, with a very good flavor.  It won a
taste test at the NJ orchard (where it was too warm for Macs to be any
good.)  If allowed to over-ripen it develops rich and interesting winey
flavors, but turns to an unappealing mealy mush.  I've often thought it
would be good in "fresh cider".  (I've heard it also develops "off"
flavors if overripe, but perhaps that person has different tastes from
mine.)  If picked at the proper time it has a good texture and keeps a
little better than a McIntosh, which is to say, not very well.  Like a
Mac, it is better in applesauce than in pie, because it doesn't hold
its shape when cooked.  I've had terrific applesauce made from the ones
that we picked in Mass. and didn't get around to eat until they were
soft.

I have read that it is highly scab resistant and easy to grow.  Also
that the fruit tends to ripen at once, in a fairly narrow window.  I
considered growing it, but decided that (1) the narrow window might be
a problem - what if I was out of town that weekend? and (2) that I can
buy it and similar apples locally, so I could better spend my limited
sun on something harder to come by.

Ginda Fisher