[NAFEX] Grapes: Fall/Winter Prep 1st Year

Scott Williamson swilliamson at acespower.com
Fri Sep 19 15:49:14 EDT 2003

Since this is my first year growing grapes (and other fruits for that matter) and my dad seems to never had luck wintering over a grape vine I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to prepare and winter over my grapes during their first year (and subsequent years for that matter).

I am in Central Indiana Zone 5b, unpredictable precipitation levels during the last 10 winters or so and have several other issues to worry about on a rural property.

Those are:

Deer - nothing out of the ordinary
Rabbits - about a million and they really like little trees even more than garden vegetables
Mice/Voles
A fair lack of protection from the wind for the site I placed my grapes on
Probably plenty of things I haven't seen...

I only have three vines, concord, marquis, and reliance(?) all seedless which had varying grow rates this year, but all seemed to grow quite a lot.  All look to be in good health right now.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice you can give.

Scott