[NAFEX] Arkansas Black - hornets?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Sep 16 10:54:33 EDT 2003

At 09:54 AM 9/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Just out of curiosity...  I assume the hornets have a number of apple
>choices in your orchard.  Do
>the hornets prefer the Arkansa Black or attack all apples equally?  If
>there is a "preference" in
>apples, do we know what causes it?

Tom,
It's a young orchard, with the oldest trees being 7-8 yrs, with others
running the gamut from 3-6, so fruit production has not yet been very heavy
- and the last couple of years have been near total busts for apple
production due to late frosts.  Asian pears, and a couple of older European
types(Clapp's & Keiffer) have cropped heavily for several years now, and
yes, the hornets do eat some of the pears - especially Keiffer, but rarely
seem to bother the Asians - but the Asians & Clapp's do ripen earlier in
the season.
ArkBlack and Old-Fashion Limbertwig are the only apple cultivars that set
any fruit this year that hasn't already ripened, and I haven't even looked
at the ABs this season, but in year past, the hornets have pretty
effectivelly eviscerated all the AB fruits by the end of Sept.

Lucky