[NAFEX] beechnuts again

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Sep 15 14:37:13 EDT 2003

Interesting.  I've been to Scotland and have seen such hedges.  I wondered
why they didn't drop their leaves, but I wasn't there long enough to observe
them to find out.  They look odd because the trunks can get fairly large,
which seems very out-of-place in a hedge - you don't expect a hedge to have
more than stems an inch or so in diameter.
-Lon Rombough

From: "Mark Lee"

In the world of landscaping, a Scottish beech hedge is the largest hedge in
the world.  Planted in 1746, it is 580 yards long.  Regular trimming keeps
the trees from forming the abscision layer which causes other trees to drop
their leaves in the fall.  This makes the brown leaves to hold on the
braches through the winter until bud break.  The hedge thus provides
screening year-round.

-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7B/8A