[NAFEX] Re: Golden Nugget

rmelrose at bluemoo.net rmelrose at bluemoo.net
Sun Sep 14 13:21:14 EDT 2003

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:09:52 -0500
> From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley at ttlc.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Anyone growing Golden Nugget?
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> I have a few questions about this cultivar. It has many great qualities,
> early to bear, excellent dessert quality, beautiful fruit, natural semi
> dwarf. Is anyone else growing it? and what do you think? Any faults beyond
> short shelf life? It bore its second crop for me this year and the fruits
> are incredibly good tasting but I suspect it isn't going to be a very
> productive tree. Any comments please?
> Thanks
> Kevin B

Well Kevin, I have had a tree (on EMLA 9) since 2000 but that's about
all. It has been growing very slowly here in Vermont at the 4a/3b boundary,
but then pretty much everything does grow slowly except the weeds. Last
year the summer was very dry and it suffered from the drought; it has done
better this year. I would guess I may see some fruit the year after
next. Good to know that it is at least interesting!

Richard