[NAFEX] Asimina parviflora "Trash Pile"

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:18:59 EDT 2003

Gordon mentioned my "Trash Pile" A.parviflora(dwarf pawpaw) selection in
his listing of pawpaw varieties he's got growing.
Thought I'd give some details on this one:

I selected this one from plants growing on my parents' farm, in
east-central AL - it's growing on top of a red clay hill, at the edge of an
old trash pile, where bricks, discarded lumber, etc. had been piled in a
gully through the years - at one time it was in the open, but kudzu and
sweetgum trees are rapidly encroaching on it, since they sold off all the
beef cows.   I don't know how old the plant is, it's about  8 ft
tall.  There are no other pawpaws within 100 yards of this one, but it
bears heavily every year, making me suspect that it may be
self-fertile.  Branches are festooned with little fruits all along their
length, not in 'hands' like A.triloba; fruit is nothing to write home
about, 2-inch fruits - mostly seed, with a small rim of pulp surrounding
them.
A.parviflora is pretty common on upland sites in that area, with A.triloba
more prevalent along the creekbanks and river bottom forests.

I brought scions of "Trash Pile" back to KY 2-3 years ago, and have a
graftling of this one growing in the orchard, grafted on seedling A.triloba
understock.   I don't have any hopes of it being anything great from a
production standpoint - I propagated it mainly out of curiosity, and for
nostalgia's sake.  It bloomed and set a few fruit this year - but I haven't
looked at them since Robert stopped by here on his way to the SFF meeting,
back in late July.
Sent Gordon scions a couple of years ago, and if I recall correctly, it
seems to be doing just fine in Michigan; seems like I recall Gordon telling
me he had a late freeze last year that burned the leaves off his
A.trilobas, but the A.parviflora was unscathed.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY