[NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp

breen at fedcoseeds.com breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sun Sep 7 18:12:35 EDT 2003

A comment on Honeycrisp: while in massachusetts on friday, a few major orchards have experienced major watercore this year with honeycrisp, to the point where they are not even worth picking...many factors i'm sure are involved, plenty might have to do with three years of tree stress from drought, but a heads up. a friend thought this watercore was because mass is too warm for honeycrisp...any thoughts on that? how many other potential problems have folks experienced/heard of? is this apple a dud possibly, commercially? not trying to incriminate, just trying to find out if this is just an off year, or is there a reason to raise concern with orchardists.
heron breen
maine, zone 4b