[NAFEX] RE: Chokeberry (Aronia) jam-sauce recipes?

Suzi Teghtmeyer srt175f at smsu.edu
Tue Sep 2 14:56:07 EDT 2003

Lucky and Richard,
I found 2 very similar recipes for chokecherry jelly (no others) in the
Evans Library cookbook collection:

Jelly #1
Makes 10 8oz glasses
3.5 lbs chokecherries
3 cups water
6.5 cups sugar
1 bottle liquid pectin.
Wash & stem fruit. Place in a kettle with water, bring to a boil, and
simmer for 15 minutes. Extract juice. Measure out 3 cups and mix with
sugar. Follow the standard procedure for making jelly with liquid pectin.

Jelly #2
3 cups juice (~3.5 lbs ripe chokecherries)
6.5 cups sugar
1 bottle liquid pectin
Stem and pit washed chokecherries. Place in a kettle with 3 cups water,
bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Place in a jelly
bag, and let drain until dripping stops, then squeeze our remaining juice.
Measure 3 cups of the juice into a large saucepan. (For a stronger cherry
flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract). To the juice, add the sugar and
mix well. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. At
once stir in pectin, then bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from head, skim off any foam with a
metal spoon, and pour quickly into hot sterilized jars. cover with hot
paraffin. Fills 9 medium classes or jars.

-Suzi
Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit
Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646,  email: srt175f at smsu.edu
AgNIC Viticulture site: http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD