[NAFEX] Re: Changing Jobs

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Wed May 28 18:50:39 EDT 2003

I agree with the fluffy bunny.

Let me add that I think growing fruit is a nice counterbalance to a
"normal" job.  It can be an anchor when other things are going insane.
Having many activities smooth out lifes injustices.  It is rare when
*everything* goes into the septic tank at the same time.

I once read that it was the women in primative societies who, day in and
day out, brought home most of the calories.  Every day they would pick a
  few handfuls of seeds, a pouch of berries,  and a cluster of tubers.
The guys, on the other hand, would often go for weeks without bringing
home any meat (read; protein and fat).  But let me tell you, it was a
heck of a party when they downed a mastodon.

I have seen several families treat the day-job and the home-grown food
as the day-to-day way of living.  This is analogous to the women
gathering seeds, nuts, berries.

Then, they have a little enterprise on the side that was their
mad-money.  One guy sold seed nuts.  He sold enough seed nuts in a good
year to buy his wife a new car.  I suppose others might use the money to
travel.  The enterprise was like the guys stalking the mastodon.

I think this is a pretty sane way of approaching things.
--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel