[NAFEX] changing jobs - fruit interests

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 09:09:26 EDT 2003

First of all - thanks for having the courage to spill your beans with this
group. Obviously many of us have been bit by the same bug. I am on my 5th
year, though it was a life dream ( I am 50 now)  I have never had so much
fun. The 1.5 acre orchard I started from buried grafts is now over my head
and I walk in it first thing every morning with my coffee, like a proud
papa. We live too remote to sell much from the farm direct, so in a few
years I will be dealing with either farmers market or selling to local
sellers. I am so enamored with grating/propagating I may move more into a
nursery situation, using my orchard as a 'proof of the pudding' for locals
to see before buying trees. I consider it to be a future supplementary
income, and the experimental growing I am doing is my contribution to a
fruitless area that should be abundant in fruit. By buying wholesale
rootstocks at under a dollar each, or growing my own, this entire operation,
fence included, has only cost me about a grand in 5 years. So if one can get
some land it can be quite affordable to get started. Best of luck! Del
Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3