[NAFEX] desease resistant apple

Sam Franc franc at oregonfast.net
Tue May 20 00:32:28 EDT 2003

John Jourdan wrote:

>During the late 1980s and early 1990s I planted about 18 different varieties
>of disease resistant apples to see how they would do in my area.  I live in
>Zone 4 just a few miles east of St Paul, Minn.
>Three of the trees died during their first 2 winters, three or four needed a
>longer growing season to properly mature the fruit.  Some had poor quality
>fruit.  One was prone to disease (although resistant to scab).
>At least four turned out to be real winners.  Perhaps the best of these was
>the test variety NY 75414-1 (Liberty X Macspur). It is more highly flavored
>than Liberty and has more attractive fruit. it has a crop every year but
>does not overproduce like Liberty so does not require a lot of thinning and
>has larger apples. It ripens about a week before Liberty so could probably
>be grown farther north

I am interested in your experience.
I have several grafts of NY 75 414-1 but they have never blossomed or
fruited in the 4 years I have been growing them here on the Oregon coast.
My Liberty is very prolific.and I get a big crop every year.
Prima is one of the new apples that I like very much.
It is good size and excellent flavor and seems to have no diseases.
Maybe it does not get cold enough here for the NY apples.
Sam