[NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

philip sauber mrtejas at lycos.com
Sat May 10 06:38:55 EDT 2003

What you say may be true, but grafting high on trifoliate makes it impossible to bank soil to above the graft to protect the tree from freezing in severe freezes.  In December of 1989 we had a 100 year freeze here near Houston, TX (we had another one in 1983).  It was below freezing for 96 hours with lows to 10F.  In that freeze all citrus trees that were not banked with soil were killed including the trifoliate rootstocks.  The only trees that survived were banked with soil or covered and heated.

I didn't bank my citrus trees in 1983 and 1989 and they were killed rootstock and all.  I bank my trees every winter now.  I take nursery pots, cut a slot in it, center the pot on the tree trunk, and fill the pot with soil.  My one tree (grafted by a friend) with a 2 foot high graft required about 4 pots stacked on top of each other to protect the bud.  Banked trees are damaged but not killed by severe freezes and recover quickly even though most of the top is killed.

The biggest problem with citrus going into dormancy here in z9a is our unpredictable weather.  It may be 85F one day and freezing the next in January and February.  In March of this year it was in the 80F for several weeks and then we had a freak 19F low around March 15.  Unprotected meyer lemon trees were killed.  My unprotected meiwa kumquat on trifoliate was killed and a long huang kat mandarin was damaged. The protected trees had damage but survived.
Phil