[NAFEX] Mayhaw growing website

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon May 5 09:25:29 EDT 2003

At 01:24 PM 5/4/2003 -0500, Phil Sauber wrote:
>I just finished building a website for a friend Bobby Talbert of Vidor, TX
>who is a mayhaw grower. He responded by giving me 4 gallons of juice to
>make jelly, some budwood for G5 Texas Star mayhaw and a sack of reject
>berries to grow for rootstock.  I grafted the limbs on my Super Spur tree
>as that variety blooms too early for the Texas Gulf coast and seldom
>produces any berries here.  I now have Bobby's G-2 and G-5 on my two small
>trees.  The content for the webiste is from a presentation he did last
>Friday to the Louisiana Mayhaw Growers Conference.  He is a technical
>advisors to the Louisiana Mayhaw Growers Association.  He has discovered
>several improved selections of mayhaw that don't shatter and bloom later
>to avoid frosts.  Any mayhaw growers out there?

Phil,
Like many NAFEXers, I often 'push the envelope'.  I'm trying some mayhaws
here in southern west-central KY, about 70 miles NW of Nashville, TN.  I
know that Henry Converse has grown and fruited some over around Paducah, KY
- even saw a mention of Henry in some of T.O. Warren's writings on
mayhaws.  Henry's place is located fairly close to the Ohio/Mississippi Rivers.

Currently have Turkey Haw, Big Red, Texas Star, Royalty, Duck Lake, and
Mason grafted and growing on native C.crus-galli seedlings I dug out of the
cow pastures.  Travis Callahan suggested that out of that group, Turkey Haw
may be my best bet for fruiting, as it tends to be later blooming than some
of the others.
I'm interested in those late-blooming selections you mentioned - any
likelihood of getting hold of scionwood from those at some time in the
future for trial in the 'frigid north'?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY