[NAFEX] Grow fruit higher than deer can reach?

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:55:57 EST 2003

My origional idea 5 years ago was to grow a one acre orchard that the deer
pruned. However, I could see no way to grow the trees above deer's reach
without fencing them first, so I did this last fall. The trees were in
chicken wire cages till then, they are about 6' tall.
Then I thought about being 70 years old and climbing up a 16' 3-legged
ladder on a steep hillside.........and decided to prune 'em closer to the
ground!
I still have plenty of flat land suitable to tall apples so am interested in
the tall tree tubes, didn't know there were 6' ones. My thoughts about
'skinny tree weakness' (caused by a tree not waving in the wind) would be to
double stake it once it is 8', and slowly let out the binder that wraps the
tree between the stakes. No?
I think chicken wire would stop any velvet rubbing / trunk chewing deer.
Wouldn't a wash in a weak clorox type solution rid any dropps from e.coli?
One post commnented that cattle are good for an apple tree, isn't their soil
compaction a real problem?
A useful thread, Del

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3