[NAFEX] earthworms vs. the forest

Kristina & Bruce herenorthere at lycos.com
Tue Mar 18 20:28:07 EST 2003

I've seen websites describing what earthworms do to previously worm free northern forests.  Seedlings have difficulty becoming established in the wormified forests and regeneration essentially stops.  Worms didn't survive glaciation and forests in places like northern Minnesota are suffering from worms dumped by people going fishing.  I had some excellent links, which I've lost, but a google search turns up more, such as http://www.stolaf.edu/depts/biology/mnps/papers/hale2001202.html.  What's good for the backyard is trouble for the woodlot.
Bruce Wittchen
West Hartford, CT