[NAFEX] Family Farms

miekal and dtv at mwt.net
Tue Mar 18 09:43:35 EST 2003

Personally, I believe that some of the reasons why family farms are
disappearing are justified.  Where I live in southwest Wisconsin the
really small family farms are dropping like flies.  The soil has been
worn out, the USDA subsidized dairy pay price is at the same place as
1980 (& that is a price propped up by our taxes), GMO & designer
genetics demand that the farmer buy into a never-ending loop of
hybridized seed & herbicide regimines.  But the picture out here also
has a very positive & forward looking alternative to such a doomsday
scenario.  The organic industry is the fastest growing sector of the
food industry right now (tho a very small percentage of it, in the US I
believe somewhere around 1 or 2%.)  As an industry it is growing by 25
to 30% a year.  The company I work for decided that as a 150 mil
company it needed to slow down its growth because it is growing TOO
fast & such growth is not sustainable.  Our pay price for organic milk
is over $19 a hundredweight while commerical is around $8.  & that's
for putting a lot less inputs into the soil.  We have farmers signed up
to get on the truck almost 2 years in advance.  So strategies to shift
the paradigm of the family farm are quite in place, in fact some of our
farms have been organic for generations & operating on very local
scales.  Organic farms are much more likely to be polycultural, having
plantings of things like fruits & nuts, CSA vegetable gardens, pick
your owns.  In general tho one of the largest issues seems to be of
keeping the next generation on the farm so these homesteads are not
lost.  Whether conventional or organic, farming is a lot of work, long
days & each succeeding generation has access to a lot of other ways to
make money that are far easier.  Often they have to leave to come back.

mIEKAL