[NAFEX] black locust

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Mar 13 21:28:37 EST 2003

You have a very good point, especially in areas in which the species is
not already common. Here in the Finger Lakes it's already a very common
tree. Locust stakes were commonly used for fenceposts in vineyards,
especially before the introduction of treated wood and metal posts. I
don't know whether locust was already in the area, was planted for use
as fenceposts, or whether green wood was used for posts and some of them
sprouted. I haven't seen it invading the woodlots here -- has anyone
else in this area? maybe I've just missed it -- but it will certainly
invade open ground and brush lots, as well as establishing as a weed in
vineyards. I did warn in my posting that it's invasive, but probably
should have stressed this more.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly