[NAFEX] Bud 9 and brittle graft unions

Joe Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Wed Mar 12 08:51:48 EST 2003

> Ginda,
> Can you elaborate on the reports of Bud 9's brittle unions, or direct
me to
> the discussion on this in applecrop please? Is this with just some
> varieties, is this in windy areas, etc?
> (Wish there were some way to reply directly to an individual poster
rather
> than always to the group)

This topic is of interest to me.  Please keep it public.  Another
question, have any cultivars been identified as having "brittle" graft
unions?  I would expect that the more vigorous cultivars (i.e.,
Northern Spy, Mutsu) would have more highly stressed unions and might
therefore appear more brittle.

-Joe

> Kevin Bradley
> 2301 S Park St #24