[NAFEX] Pawpaws

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Mon Mar 10 08:09:16 EST 2003

Dear John,

The smell of pawpaws does not travel too far from the tree--- least nothing like the fishy smell of hawthorns (Crataegus) that can scent your whole yard.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Some pawpaw cultivars are good to zone 4.  Make sure to choose plants of Midwestern provenance.  I think that your problem will be lack of summer heat, not cold.  perhaps planting them on the south side of a building would help if heat is, indeed, the most problematic issue for you.

North west coasters grow it without trouble--they may lack the heat near the coast, but then, they won't have to worry quite so much about the wood ripening before winter.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI who is growing, but not yet fruited pawpaw seedlings in a USDA zone 3 climate, albeit with good summer heat.