[NAFEX] Champanel grape

philip sauber mrxtexas at lycos.com
Sun Mar 9 13:43:46 EST 2003

What are peoples experience with champanel grape?  I've heard it is sour and only good for jelly from someone who pulled their vines up to "an excellent grape to eat if allowed to fully ripen(about 2 weeks after it turns blue") from Womack nursery where I bought it.  I picked champanel because it is reputed not to require spraying for black rot vs black spanish and blanc du bois that do (George Ray McEachern "Growing Fruits, Berries, and Nuts in the South".)

Is it sweet enough for juice and fresh eating?

Does it require spraying?

I live near Houston, TX.  I also have several muscadines I am also growing.  I an also trying the mortenson cold hardy vinafera that is supposedly resistant to pierce's disease.