[NAFEX] MN 447

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Mar 9 08:04:13 EST 2003

Plant patents eventually expire.  The patent system is supposed to
create a balance between the interests of inventors and the interests
of the public - giving enough of a monopoly that inventors are
motivated to invent, but eventually releasing inventions into the
public domain.  I suppose non-propagation agreements don't expire -
after all, the point is to prevent propagation prior to filing for the
patent.  But it seems to me that at some point, if the originator of
the material decides not to patent it, non-propagation agreements ought
to expire.

Is there a mechanism to release a cultivar other than by patenting it?
If this cultivar doesn't have much commercial potential, but is
interesting enough that a few people want it, could U of Minn announce
that non-propagation agreements are now void and allow individuals to
clone it?  Does that sort of thing ever happen?  (I'm not suggesting
that's what U Minn ought to do in this case - perhaps they want to
patent it.  Just wondering what happens to good-but-limited cultivars.
I'm sure it costs money to patent a plant.)

Ginda Fisher