[NAFEX] Pomona in PDF

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at columbia-center.org
Sun Mar 2 16:38:37 EST 2003

To the list,

The issue is not pro or anti-computers. Computers are great for what they
do best--fast communication for exchange of information and performance of
tedious jobs. But they are not good for relaxed hobby reading.

I just finished checking a copy of a pdf newsletter on another list.

To begin with, it took 6 minutes to download (and I have a 56 modem).

Then there was the tiresome scrolling from page to page while crouched in
front of the computer. I don't choose to invest $2500 or so in a laptop to
supplement my desktoop.

And finally, there is the problem of storage and referring back to an
article at some future time. It is much faster to take a back copy off a
book shelf and flip through it than to scroll back and forth through
multiple files.

As far as cost is concerned, it is only the Adobe Acrobat reader that is
free--the program to post articles costs big bucks. And there would be
additional costs for archival storage, with the risk that a change of
servers or a new virus could wipe out archives. (Not an imaginary danger.
There was some European travel magazine that lost its store of archived
photos a couple years ago when the Love Bug virus hit.)

Some people have advocated a choice, with the implication that a printed
version would have more expensive dues. But the online version would have
its own set of costs,

Betty Mayfield