[NAFEX] Honey Crisp & Pink Lady Questions

Doreen Howard doreenh at ticon.net
Tue Jan 28 12:45:56 EST 2003

Lee Elliot wrote:

> It's my opinion and a lot of others too that any new successful
> cultivars will have that crunch and texture of Honey Crisp .  I am
> crossing HC with Gala, Suncrisp, Pinova, Goldrush, Pink Lady, etc, etc,
> The effort is to breed a Honey Crisp like apple with taste and flavor
> ramped up where HC is lacking and a tree easy to grow without HC's
> problems.

I'm considering planting Honey Crisp in Zone 4b, Wisconsin.  So, I'm very
interested in the problems you have had with this variety.  Could you
elaborate?  Also, do you shelter your Pink Lady, or is the climate where you
are suitably mild?  I've read that Pink Lady can be grown successfully as
far north as Richmond, VA on the Atlantic seaboard, due to moderating
currents.  I believe you are in central IL, but are you in a micro-climate
that moderates your Zone 5b even further?
Doreen Howard