[NAFEX] shady/rich soil/fruit?

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 11:08:21 EST 2003

Your frost pocket might be being caused by the trees
themselves, blocking the colder air from continuing downhill.

I'm not that knowledgeable about very cold climate gardening
(I think my number of frost free days is almost double yours).
Also, on average, how many hours of sun does the ground get?
By some classifications, 6 hours is considered "full sun", but
I'm not sure that applies for fruit.
But here's my thoughts for what their worth:

Brambles:  Would like the rich soil, most bloom rather late,
but you'd have to have varieties hardy in your area

Prunus: Would probably like rich soil, but generally like soil
well drained.  Again would have to be varieties adapted to
your area

Pyrus:  Tolerant of the clay in general, but too rich for
them? (fireblight hazard????)

Ribes: Down here, we have to give them some shade or heavy
mulch.  I think they would do well for you.  You'd just have
to have some use for the fruit.

Blueberry: might work.  Probably limited to the low bush and
half-highs types.

Grape: I suspect too rich for the grapes (in too rich a soil,
you can get into excessive cane growth at expense of fruit.)

Mulberries and bush cherries:  Don't really know anything
useful about these.

Good luck!

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6